Ansaldo Nucleare is a company fully owned by Ansaldo Energia and part of the Finmeccanica Group. Ansaldo Nucleare has the complete responsibility for the nuclear business and has a sound presence in the new international markets.
In Italy, Ansaldo Nucleare is recognised as the main company in the nuclear sector, having as specific missions:
- Supply of new nuclear power plants
- Service to operating nuclear plants
- Decommissioning of nuclear plants and radioactive waste management
With a broad experience of over 30 years in the worldwide nuclear market and with valuable professional skills, Ansaldo Nucleare carries out project management, design, engineering, erection and start-up activities along the following main lines:
- Engineering, procurement and construction of nuclear power plants
- Design of nuclear components
- Supply of fuel handling machines
- Development of advanced nuclear plants for Generation IV and transmutation
- Plant operation assistance
- Decommissioning of nuclear installations
- Radioactive waste management
Nuclear Power Plants Engineering and Construction
In partnership with world-class established nuclear providers, Ansaldo Nucleare realizes nuclear power plants performing systems and main components design, core and thermohydraulic calculations, safety and licensing analyses and installation engineering.
Ansaldo Nucleare has gained an extensive experience both as a Nuclear Steam Supply System (NSSS) designer and as an architect engineer in Italy and abroad for more than thirty years.
The most recent realizations of Ansaldo Nucleare have been performed in the international market for:
- AP1000 - Sanmen NPP - Unit 1 - China
- Mochovce NPP - Units 3 & 4 - Slovak Republik
- Cernavoda NPP - Units 1 & 2 - Romania
Development of New Generation Nuclear Reactors
In the framework of the European and International cooperation, Ansaldo Nucleare develops innovative nuclear power plants, offering enhanced safety features and economic improvements for the electrical production with a view to reducing the radioactive wastes generated by the plants.
Main Related Projects are:
- European Passive Pressurized Water Reactor (EPP)
- International Reactor Innovative and Secure (IRIS)
- European Lead System (ELSY)
Plant Operation Assistance
Ansaldo Nucleare provides a large range of service activities for systems and components of nuclear power plants aiming at safe operation, system optimization and performance enhancement.
Ansaldo Nucleare can effectively provide these services thanks to its experience and in-depth knowledge gained in the design and realization of different technologies for Nuclear Power Plants.
Specific Areas and Types of Intervention
- Back-fitting, ageing management, life extension and power up-rating of the plants
- Customized development of fuel handling machine control systems
- Fatigue and Leak Before Break (LBB) analysis on mechanical and piping systems
- Instrumentation & Control, automation and monitoring systems
Main Recent Related Projects:
- CERNAVODA NPP, ROMANIA - Service activities for Unit 1 (Screen house, Recirculated
cooling water system, Feedwater system)
- EMBALSE NPP, ARGENTINA - Outages - BOP Life Extension - Power Up-Rating Study
- CHERNOBYL NPP, UKRAINE - Integrated Automated Monitoring System (lAMS)
- TIANWAN NPP, CHINA - Control system for fuel handling machines
- MEDZAMOR NPP, ARMENIA - Application of LBB methodology to the primary system
and surge lines. Definition of a new leak detection system configuration
- SUPERPHENIX NPP, FRANCE - Technical assistance for the safe shutdown of the plant
and the removal of fuel elements - Preparation for Sodium disposal
Decommissioning of Nuclear Plants
Ansaldo Nucleare has gained knowledge and experience in this field working first on European R&D programmes and then successively in Italy since 1999 when the Government decided to pursue the decommissioning of the Italian sites in one single phase.
At present, Ansaldo Nucleare is performing decommissioning studies and activities for nuclear power plants and nuclear research reactors in Italy and abroad.
- Methodology approach and feasibility studies to analyze alternative solutions and select the preferable ones according to technical, economical and ALARA requirements
- Basic design, detailed design and procurement of equipment and tools for the dismantling, packaging and transfer of waste materials produced in the frame of the decommissioning
- Management of the on-site dismantling activity focusing on the planning, monitoring and control of the work for the safe and efficient execution of the project
Main Related Projects:
- CAORSO NPP, Italy - Decommissioning of systems and components of the Thermal Cycle
- RESEARCH REACTOR RTS-1 at CISAM, Italy - Software package, preliminary design for
decommissioning management and dismantling of secondary cooling circuit of the reactor
- CAORSO NPP and GARIGLIANO NPP, Italy - Conceptual design and programme for decommissioning
- EC JRC ISPRA SITE, Italy - Management services for pre-decommissioning physical
and radiological characterisation of shut down nuclear facilities
Radioactive Waste Management
Ansaldo Nucleare has the capability to design, supply, test and commission Radioactive Waste Management Systems for the radioactive waste produced during the operational life as well as those deriving from the decommissioning of nuclear installations.
The company's knowledge and experience in this field has been applied to the treatment of both liquid and solid radioactive waste (Low and Intermediate Level Waste - LILW).
- Definition of processes for treatment of liquid waste, based on chemical, physical and radiological properties
- Design, procurement, construction and commissioning of radioactive waste treatment facilities for both liquid and solid waste
- Development of innovative radioactive organic waste treatment technology (Wet Oxidation process - WOX)
Main Related Projects
- EUREX-SALUGGIA, Italy - New bunkerized tank system for liquid radioactive waste
- EUREX-SALUGGIA, Italy - Special equipment for safe fuel handling in the storage pool
- KHMELNITSKY NPP, UKRAINE - Treatment of backlog of radioactive waste water
- IGNALINA NPP, Lithuania - EBRD Project B2, Landfill Separation Facility (LSF) and Control Building (CB)
- CAORSO NPP, Italy - Phosphoric Acid Decontamination Unit (PHADEC) for steel scraps produced by the dismantling of the plant
- CAORSO NPP, Italy - Waste Management Facility (WMF)
- TRINO NPP, Italy - Treatment of spent ion exchange resins by means of Wet Oxidation process (WOX)
Ansaldo Nucleare has been involved in the design and supply of many different types of Nuclear Power Plants and Research Facilities acquiring an in-depth knowledge of systems and components of innovative conception. During the development of these studies, Ansaldo
Nucleare has registered various patents and applications, among which:
For Boiling Water Reactor technology:
- Isolation Condenser
- Passive Containment Cooling Condenser
For Pressurized Water Reactor technology:
- Passive Injection and Depressurization System
For Subcritical nuclear reactors, ADS technology:
- Accelerator Driven System (ADS), primary loop circulation / secondary loop components
Westinghouse PWR (Pressurized Water Reactor)
• Sale, design and fabrication subcontracting of complete Nuclear Steam Supply Systems (NSSS) and Nuclear Fuel of the Westinghouse PWR technology
Ansaldo Nucleare Worldwide
The Company operates in the domestic and international nuclear market.
Ansaldo Nucleare manages the entire business from its headquarters and operative office in Genoa, its branches located in Romania and Slovakia, and its representative offices in Bucharest and Moscow.
In the other Countries, the Company relies on the numerous Representative Offices of its parent company, Ansaldo Energia, located in over twenty countries in the world, and on those of its holding Company Finmeccanica.
Moreover, for the service assistance, Ansaldo Nucleare has created a local company, ANSERV, in Romania and acts in France through a participation in the Company NNS, mainly devoted to the Creys Malville NPP.